I had an acquaintance ask me today if I believed in God. When I told her that I am not a religious person, she asked me what that meant. I told her that I don't know the truth. I don't know if there is a God or if Jesus was a real person, or if Buddhism or Muslim had it correct. She proceeded to tell me that I was a heathen, and that I was sure to burn in Hell, but she'd do me the favor of praying for my soul so that God will grant me forgiveness when it comes to my final judgement.
That just FRIES me! I am not a religious person. But I don't judge people who disagree with me and are religious. I don't force my thoughts and beliefs on them. I actually respect them because they do have their beliefs/values/ethics whatever and follow them, just like, I would hope they respect me for having my beliefs. It really bugs me when people who disagree, especially in their religious beliefs, are judgmental and offer up their prayers for salvation, when and where they are not asked for. It doesn't bother me that they believe differently than I do. I can sit down and have a conversation about what I believe and why I believe and am open to hearing their thoughts too. But when they force their beliefs on me, and/or tell me I'm a bad person for believing differently than they do, and/or offer to pray for me because they're being judgmental, it really, really, really, really bugs the &$^* out of me. So....
Here's why I'm not a religious person.
Growing up, I went to church occasionally with my mom. Neither of my parents were religious (especially not my dad). But my mom believed that there was a higher being and wanted us (my sister and I) to be able to make our own opinion. So we'd go to church with friends sometimes. Many of those times, I noticed that there was a lot of religious bashing. "All Muslims are evil," "Buddhists are uneducated," "Jewish people are greedy," etc. It wasn't only the bashing of different religions vs. Christianity. I've heard the Catholic vs. Protestant vs. Mormon vs. whatever else there is under the "Christianity" umbrella bashing as well. Ummmmm hello, those all read the Bible, have the same fundamental beliefs, but just interpret the Bible differently and observe in their own ways. Is that really a bad thing? Does that necessarily make that Catholic man more right/wrong than that Mormon woman? Maybe all the Christians have it wrong. Maybe Buddhism, or Hinduism, or Muslim is the accurate religion. The thing is, no one knows for sure! Many times the term "faith" is used to say that the person is religious, but by its very own definition, "faith" is a belief based on the unknown or unproven. It's a blind belief on what you think happened. And the thing is, I don't know what to believe. Do I believe that there is a god? Yes. But is that god the Christian "God", the Buddhist "Buddha", the Muslim "Allah" or some other religion's "God" or some god that doesn't have a religion? The answer is I don't know and neither does anyone else for sure.
And another thing I just want to put out there, because sometimes, when I've talked to people about this, I get the "How can you think that Muslim is a religion that can be correct? They're all bombers and are all evil." So here are my thoughts on that.... Sure Muslims have their extremists who do horrible things in the name of their religion, but so do the Christians. Does Westboro Baptist Church ring any bells? Every religion has their wackos who take their beliefs and values too far to the extreme. Does that make one religion better than others? In my book, no it does not... It just makes those wackos, wackos who like to use their religion to do bad things.
So there you have it. I am not a religious person. Think of me as you will. Will you respect me and my beliefs? Or, like the woman I mentioned at the beginning of this post, will you judge me and pray for my salvation? If you do pray for me, that's your right and I encourage you to do so, just please, don't tell me, because I'm not asking for it. Thanks!
Pippa's Ice Cream Party
2 weeks ago
5 comments:
As I read this through again, I realized that in my second to last paragraph, where I talk about the religious extremists, I was being judgmental in calling them wackos. But, they too, have their right to believe what they believe and interpret that belief in their own ways.... but to me, committing suicide and blowing up innocent people or a religion who's home page website is godhates_____.com, are people who take their actions in the name of their religion a little too far....
I am so proud of you for posting this. I agree. I don't know what's right, or if there is a right. I believe there is a higher being out there. Exactly who/what that being is, I don't know. But, I believe in something. I don't have to go to church every weekend for it, and I truly hate it when people judge others because of their differences. It also bothers me when others force their beliefs on you so that you can be saved in their eyes. Who says you need their "saving" in the first place!
I am so proud of you for posting this. I agree. I don't know what's right, or if there is a right. I believe there is a higher being out there. Exactly who/what that being is, I don't know. But, I believe in something. I don't have to go to church every weekend for it, and I truly hate it when people judge others because of their differences. It also bothers me when others force their beliefs on you so that you can be saved in their eyes. Who says you need their "saving" in the first place!
I am also proud of you for posting this and putting it up on FB. Everyone is entitled to express their opinion and have their own beliefs. And for the Christian believers of this world there is a very little known verse somewhere in the bible that states that Jesus stated that organized religion is not what is the best....the best belief is to have your own connection to him. In my world that means a higher power. That verse states something about do not worship me in big wooden structures.....I think I just might take the time to research and find it. Your experience with organized religion was very similiar to mine....
And it does state that we should not be judgemental in any way...Anyone read the 10 commandments anymore???
Unfortunately it is people like that women that can give religion a
bad rap. I don't know the religious beliefs of half of my great friends, let alone an acquaintance, because it has no bearing to me how I am going to relate to them. I think that peoples actions suggest much more about who they are than that of just words.
Enough of my soap box, wish the lady well on her travels through life, may it be a good one, although very busy with everyone elses business.
I think it's fine to call those extremists out as different, or wackos. Every society operates and keeps the peace by having rules regarding how to treat others, especially when it involves doing harm. They don't have a right to do some of the things they do, in fact, those extremists breaking the laws then become "criminals," societal outcasts.
Post a Comment