CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

About Me

My photo
I'm me and I'm the best me I know! Tee hee. I'm a wife to the best man any girl could ask for. I'm Mom to the two most beautiful girls, Natalie (7 years) and Alexis (4 years)! Skruffy is our dog, whom we all love very much. I got my elementary education degree from Washington State University...Go Cougs!!! I enjoy reading and writing children's stories, listening to music, dancing (even though I suck at it), and spending time with family and friends.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

A VERY Difficult Decision

In May 2005 I achieved the first step in obtaining my dream.  I graduated with a  teaching degree.  Being a teacher has been my dream since I was in 3rd grade!  I had an awesome teacher in 3rd and 4th grade and she inspired me to want to do the same for children that she did for me!  She was wonderful!  As long as I can remember, I've worked towards being a teacher.  In highschool I tutored children during the summers, I volunteered at the elementary school during my Junior and Senior years.  On that day in May, when I got my teaching degree, I was so proud!  For the past 7 years, I've been subbing... well for a few months in there I taught in a pre school and then took some time to be a new mom to Alexis... But for the most part I've subbed those 7 years; 4 of those years I've devoted to Sedro Woolley, a wonderful district that I'd love to teach in.  Of course, I've been looking and applying for jobs so I can have my own classroom.  That would be a total dream come true!  However, this economy and all the school budget cuts that have come with it have made that more than difficult. 

This summer, I've been applying for positions as far south as Southern Seattle and as far north as Blaine.  I've applied for more than 20 teaching positions; 7 in Sedro Woolley alone.  I have received 0 calls for interviews and many (about 20) rejection letters or emails.  Honestly, I'm most upset about not getting any calls for interviews from Sedro Woolley.  I've spent so much time in the district, I'm the #1 sub for many teachers, I've gotten many of those teachers to write letters of recommendation and a principal as well.  I'm a good teacher!  Why didn't I get at least an interview anywhere?  I'd be OK with at least an interview.  I've had many, many, many people look at my resume and cover letter; teachers, principals, friends, my manager at work, and they've all told me that I have a great resume and cover letter.  So why am I not getting ANY calls? 

It's come to the point that I have to start thinking, maybe, no matter how badly I want it, maybe teaching isn't meant for me.  As much as that breaks my heart to say, and as I'm bawling right now writting this, I can't help but wonder.  So I've made the difficult, and heart breaking decision, to try to find full time employment outside of teaching.  I don't know what or where I want to look.  I do know, I'd rather not be anywhere in retail, at least not out on the sales floor.  I really like doing the administrative stuff at the health club, so maybe I'll look into that field.  Maybe I'll talk to my boss at the health club and maybe she'll have a full time position I can step into.  Maybe I'll look into going back to school.  I'm just to the point that I cannot be in the unknown position I've been in the last 4 years.  Soon we'll be taking over house payments and I cannot afford to not be working, or the inconsistancy of subbing anymore.  I want to be working, I want to have consistancy, I want to have dinner and my weekends with my family!  So, until I do find a full time job, I will continue subbing, but I will be actively looking for a full time position elsewhere.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Stephanie, that is a really tough decision. You will be great at what ever you do, and you will always be a teacher to your beautiful girls and anyone who crosses your path!

Allison

Jessica said...

Steph,
Your classroom may not be the one you have imagined but teachers can teach anywhere. You never know what might happen.

BTW, I know what teacher you are referring to in your blog post. She is my inspirations even after 20 years (yeah it's been that long since 3rd/4th grade. Frightening, I know!

A big hug,
Jessica

Jerry said...

I'm in the same boat, Stephanie.

Jerry

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Steph. I know that putting a life long dream on the back burner was not easy. I hope this next career move will open some new doors where you can find some fulfillment.
Big hugs,
Betsy