First of all I'd like to send out a huge thank you to the veterans (and their families) for all the sacrifices they've made so that I and my family can enjoy the freedoms we have today!
Yesterday, well this whole week actually, I've been subbing at Central Elementary School in 5th grade. Yesterday they had their Veterans Day celebrations. They had the general assembly, where the Veteran family members of the students came and we honored them and all the other Veterans. We sang patriotic songs, had a patriotic book and poems read to us and talked about what today meant. What was really cool, and such a wonderful experience for me, was they also put on a parade around downtown Sedro-Woolley. There was a fire truck at the start, the high school marching band came all in uniform, and then the students all lines up by grade level; each with an American Flag in their hand. Here I should also mention that Mary Purcell Elementary School, the school just next door, was also there. The Veterans that were there all joined their student and we all marched a good two miles around down town Sedro-Woolley, There were Veterans who were on the side lines watching, the business owners and their patrons came out to honor the Veterans. It was so cool to see the students, mostly the older ones who understood what today means, approach the Veterans on the side lines and thank them for their service. It was an AWESOME experience and one that I was proud to have been able to be a part of this year!
Pippa's Ice Cream Party
2 weeks ago
1 comment:
Wow, what a great experience for the whole SW community! Sounds like a fun Veteran's Day.
Post a Comment