I'm to the point where I need help! I am so upset and worried for Natalie! I almost don't want to put anything here because if I do, then it's always out there, but I need some advice on whether I should go talk to a doctor or if I'm just over reacting about things.
Natalie has always been a worrier, worrying a lot more about things than she rightfully should. But lately, especially when getting up and ready for school, she stresses to the point where she cannot function! This morning it was about her socks and it took her 25 minutes to eat a small bowl of cereal because she was having a fit about her socks. The past three weeks of school, we have maybe 1 good morning out of the 5. I've tried everything, bribing (I know horrible), encouragement, punishment, ignoring, but nothing seems to work. The past couple days we've had her eat breakfast first thing in the morning so she has the blood sugar she needs to function and this has helped a little, these mornings are not as stressful as mornings that she gets dressed first, but still bad enough. I am usually so upset by the time it's time to take her down to the bus (or some mornings into school because she's taken so long that we miss the bus) that on the way home I'm bawling! I try to not to yell at her when I get this upset, because that really doesn't help things, but sometimes I just can't hold it back. I know she can do it, but she just gets so stressed about things she can't get past it.
Yesterday I subbed in a class where this boy threw a fit each time I assigned some class work because he didn't have enough time, or his teacher wouldn't like the way he did it, or something else. And then it was escalated because some kids were looking at him while he was throwing his fit. I can see this in Natalie. If she doesn't do something exactly right, or how she thinks it should be done, she stresses out!
Depression runs on both sides of our family and both my sister and Peter's sister are bi-polar. There have been many times that both my mom and Peter's parents have compared her to Kathi or Betsy that I'm certain she's got the early signs of being bi-polar. I'm a mom, so I want my kid to be healthy and perfect, and, even though I love her unconditionally, it breaks my heart to think that she's got this tough road ahead of her. I don't want to have to "label" her as bi-polar and put her on any kind of medication, but I also know, after watching my sister struggle with it, that if that is what she has, getting her help early on might be the best thing I do for her. I'm scared, worried, heart broken, sad, nervous, etc. for her and I'm to the point that I just don't know what to do. Am I being paranoid, or overreacting? Or is there something to actually be worried about here? From other people I talk to, like the lady I leave her with when I'm subbing, she doesn't act this way for others. Is this just something that she does for mom and dad? Or is it something real?
Pippa's Ice Cream Party
2 weeks ago
1 comment:
Oh Steph. I can't even imagine what you are going through. I'm sure all the emotions you are all feeling are absolutely warranted and are ok for what is going on.
Knowing what you know about your family histories, I almost think it would be better to see if it's just over reacting on her part or if it truly is something more. Like you said, it would be better to get her the help she needs (or might need) rather than put her through more struggling. It can't feel good on her part (or yours) and we all know you want the best for her.
We need to talk sweets!
Post a Comment